south african student media
- Wits main admin building shut downon February 24, 2021 at 4:53 pm
The Solomon Mahlangu building at Wits University has been shut down after an altercation took place between Wits campus security and Wits EFF members. Key administrative services at Wits University’s Solomon Mahlangu House were shut down on Wednesday, February 24, after an altercation between campus security staff and members of the Wits Economic Freedom Fighters
- Researcher off to international innovation festivalon February 22, 2021 at 5:27 pm
The master’s student will present nutrition-based research to global leaders in travel, tourism and hospitality. A University of Johannesburg (UJ) master’s in tourism and hospitality student has been chosen to present her ongoing research at the World Tourism Forum’s (WTF’s) Young Talent Programme in Switzerland in April. Gifty Koufie’s research focuses on the efficacy of
- Wits gears up to help first-year students conquer the edgeon February 22, 2021 at 4:08 pm
Orientation Week preparations kick off as 500 senior students prepare to be the link connecting freshers to support services on campus. First-Year Experience (FYE) mentors have received training in preparation for Orientation Week, scheduled for the first week of March. The Development and Leadership Unit (DLU) conducts training for mentors so that they are a
- Crossed fingers in Braamfontein that students will move inon February 19, 2021 at 5:50 pm
Private student accommodation providers do not know whether they will attract enough students to their buildings, as the 2021 academic calendar is starting a month later than usual. Private student accommodation providers have begun the year uncertain whether they will get enough tenants as the academic calendar will start a month later than usual, on
- R21-million target for SRC to avert financial exclusionson February 19, 2021 at 5:06 pm
The fundraising campaign will help more than 8 000 Wits students who are experiencing financial difficulties. The Wits SRC has received its first donation toward its R21-million in 2021 fundraising campaign, which is aimed at raising funds to help students owing fees who may face financial exclusion. Former Constitutional Court justice Richard Goldstone was the
- More South Africans willing to take the jab, survey showson February 18, 2021 at 4:41 pm
The Covid Democracy Survey indicates that more than 60% of South Africans are willing to get vaccinated against covid-19 while some fear the vaccine’s effectivity and side-effects. Young people are the key that the South African government can use to persuade vaccine sceptics to take a coronavirus vaccine. This is according to data collected in
- Business as usual for two Wits facultieson February 18, 2021 at 1:37 pm
The covid-19 pandemic has not prevented the faculty of commerce, law and management, and the faculty of health sciences from commencing classes in January as in previous years. The Wits University faculty of health sciences in Parktown was full of life on February 18, as students moved between practicals and labs, while others socialised outside
- City of Johannesburg reclaims Braamfontein streets from criminalson February 17, 2021 at 9:40 am
The City’s leadership has vowed to ensure that not only the precinct of Braamfontein, but also surrounding areas such as Parktown, are cleared of criminality. As of Monday, February 15, the Johannesburg Metropolitan Police Department (JMPD) has permanently deployed 70 police officers in the Braamfontein area, as part of a City of Johannesburg (CoJ) plan to
- UP vets save lives of two dogs using ground breaking techniqueon February 16, 2021 at 10:48 am
UP vets save lives of two dogs using ground breaking technique Mothusi Mokalane Veterinary surgeons affiliated with UP performed heart surgery on two dogs using a ground breaking technique. This is a first in the 100 year history of the Faculty of Veterinary Science in Onderstepoort. Veterinary surgeons, Dr Adriaan Kitshoff and Dr Ross Elliot, who specialise in small animal surgery in the department of Companion Animal Clinical studies, operated on a 7-month-old French Bull dog named Daisy and a 6-month-old Cocker Spaniel, called Tallen. The approach used by the vets entails dilating the opening of a heart valve with a balloon.Read More → The post UP vets save lives of two dogs using ground breaking technique appeared first on PDBY.
- Online classes for all 2021 first-year Witsieson February 11, 2021 at 5:25 pm
Some prospective first-year students fear that this might compromise their chances of succeeding at Wits. Classes for all first-year students at Wits University will be conducted online when the academic year begins on Monday, March 8. According to the senior director of academic affairs, Professor Diane Grayson, Ulwazi, the new Learning Management System (LMS) that
- Covid-19 pushes Wits clubs, societies onlineon February 11, 2021 at 12:54 pm
The pandemic had a devastating effect on the morale of members of clubs and societies in 2020, but 2021 provides new opportunities to remain relevant. Clubs and societies at Wits University are migrating their operations to online platforms as they prepare to welcome new members in March. As strict covid-19 rules and regulations prohibit social
- Update on resumption of classes in 2021on January 20, 2021 at 4:34 pm
SUSANNA ANBU Lectures As per the academic calendar, lectures are scheduled to start on 15 March 2021. Rikus Delport, Director of Institutional Advancement at the University of Pretoria, confirmed to PDBY that, “If the current lockdown level 3 remains, classes will resume online, while we are also considering introducing small classes on a rotational basis in keeping with the necessary health precautions. We will adjust our plans on an ongoing basis according to the prevailing risk adjusted levels”. Updates will be shared as they are made. Returning to campus As of date, under the level 3 regulations announced by the President on 28 December, onlyRead More → The post Update on resumption of classes in 2021 appeared first on PDBY.
ghana student media
- Nungua: JHS student on the run after assaulting maths teacherby radio univers on February 26, 2021 at 9:05 pm
A 17-year-old student of the Nungua Kroma 2 Junior High School is on the run after leading an assault on one of his teacher. According to police, the student-led 15 other men from Nungua to beat up the math teacher. The teacher sustained a head wound and was in a blood-soaked shirt when he reported The post Nungua: JHS student on the run after assaulting maths teacher appeared first on Radio Univers 105.7FM.
- Sports Minister designate hints on plans to set up inspectorate directorate for sporting facilitiesby radio univers on February 26, 2021 at 8:50 pm
The Minister Designate for Youth and Sports, Hon. Ussif Mustapha, says that he will work on improving the maintenance culture of sporting facilities in the country when approved as sector minister. He said this when he appeared before Parliament’s Appointment Committee on Thursday, February 25. The former National Service Secretariat boss said that he will The post Sports Minister designate hints on plans to set up inspectorate directorate for sporting facilities appeared first on Radio Univers 105.7FM.
- University of Ghana selected to host Carnegie African Diaspora Fellowby radio univers on February 26, 2021 at 8:24 pm
The University of Ghana has been selected by the Carnegie African Diaspora Fellowship Programme (CADFP) to host an African Diaspora Scholar to work on a collaborative project in dietetics for building faculty capacity in teaching, research, postgraduate training, and mentorship. The Diaspora Fellow, from the Ohio State University, Columbus, USA, will be working with Dr. Freda The post University of Ghana selected to host Carnegie African Diaspora Fellow appeared first on Radio Univers 105.7FM.
- 20/21 CSSPS: Over 150,000 students miss out automatic SHS placementby radio univers on February 26, 2021 at 7:53 pm
A total of 151,266 candidates for this year’s Computerized School Selection and Placement System (CSSPS) could not be matched with any of their Senior High School choices. This was indicated in a statement from the Ghana Education Service. These candidates are to do self-placement to select from available schools. Assurance has been given to students The post 20/21 CSSPS: Over 150,000 students miss out automatic SHS placement appeared first on Radio Univers 105.7FM.
- 2020/21 SHS placement to be released on Feb. 28by radio univers on February 26, 2021 at 7:34 pm
The Ghana Education Service says that the 2020 Computerized School Selection and Placement System (CSSPS) into Senior High, Technical and Vocational Education and Training Schools (TVETS) will go live on Sunday, 28th February, 2021 533,693 candidates registered for placement this year but 494,530 candidates were found to be qualified to be placed. According to GES, The post 2020/21 SHS placement to be released on Feb. 28 appeared first on Radio Univers 105.7FM.
- KNUST: Student bloggers, writers sensitized on promoting university’s imageby radio univers on February 26, 2021 at 7:22 pm
A day’s workshop has been held for student bloggers and writers at the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology. The workshop was organized by the University’s Relations Officer, Dr. Daniel Norris Bekoe. It was aimed at sensitizing these writers and bloggers on relevant news items and how to collectively work to project the positive The post KNUST: Student bloggers, writers sensitized on promoting university’s image appeared first on Radio Univers 105.7FM.
- Tema Traditional Council condemns LGBT+ activitiesby radio univers on February 26, 2021 at 7:10 pm
The Tema Traditional Council has condemned recent activities of Lesbian, Gay, Bi-Sexual, Transgender, and its related communities (LGBT+), describing their acts as “ungodly and morally repugnant”. “The practice is condemnable in no uncertain terms as it is a sin against human decency, which should not be countenanced in Ghana”, Nii Amarh Somponu II, Tema Shipi, The post Tema Traditional Council condemns LGBT+ activities appeared first on Radio Univers 105.7FM.
- Our stand against LGBTQ+ is backed by the bible – Christian Council of Ghanaby radio univers on February 26, 2021 at 6:16 pm
The Christian Council of Ghana has stated that its stand against the recent Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer + (LGBTQ+) activities in the country is supported by the Bible and values held high by Ghanaians. The Council in a statement signed by the General Secretary Rev. Dr. Cyril G.K. Fayose, on February 23, 2020, mentioned The post Our stand against LGBTQ+ is backed by the bible – Christian Council of Ghana appeared first on Radio Univers 105.7FM.
- Elmina Sharks appoints Nii Odartey Lamptey as interim coachby radio univers on February 26, 2021 at 6:01 pm
The management of Elimna Sharks has appointed Nii Odartey Lamptey as the interim coach following the sacking of head coach Yaw Acheampong and his assistant, Felix Aboagye as well as goalkeeper’s trainer Nana Mbrah on Tuesday, February 25, 2021. The 46-year-old trainer takes up his second coaching job since parting ways with Division One league The post Elmina Sharks appoints Nii Odartey Lamptey as interim coach appeared first on Radio Univers 105.7FM.
- Are COVID-19 protocols likely to be disregarded at night?by radio univers on February 26, 2021 at 4:26 pm
You may or may not believe it, but gradually Ghanaians are coming to terms with the wearing of a nose mask wherever they find themselves. It would interest you to know that out of 100 people who step out during day time, about 75 to 80 percent (rough survey) wear nose masks to prevent the The post Are COVID-19 protocols likely to be disregarded at night? appeared first on Radio Univers 105.7FM.
uganda student media
- 2 ICT Interns Job at War Child Holland (WCH)by Miiro Allan on February 26, 2021 at 3:56 pm
Vacancy title: 2 ICT Interns Type: FULL TIME Industry: Nonprofit, and NGO Category: Computer & IT Jobs at: War Child Holland (WCH) Deadline of this Job: 28 February 2021 Duty Station: Within Uganda , Kampala , East Africa SummaryDate Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed JOB DETAILS:War Child Holland (WCH) is an international NGO investing in a peaceful future for children The post 2 ICT Interns Job at War Child Holland (WCH) appeared first on The Campus Times.
- Head of IT Operations Job at Opportunity Bank Limitedby Miiro Allan on February 26, 2021 at 3:51 pm
Vacancy title: Head of IT Operations Type: FULL TIME Industry: Banking Category: Computer & IT Jobs at: Opportunity Bank Limited Deadline of this Job: 15 March 2021 Duty Station: Within Uganda , Kampala , East Africa SummaryDate Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed JOB DETAILS:Career opportunity open at Opportunity Bank Limited (OBUL) for a hands-on person who can think strategically but The post Head of IT Operations Job at Opportunity Bank Limited appeared first on The Campus Times.
- Senior Accountant Job at Sim Plastics (U) Ltdby Miiro Allan on February 26, 2021 at 3:42 pm
Vacancy title: Senior Accountant Type: FULL TIME Industry: Manufacturing Category: Accounting & Finance Jobs at: Sim Plastics (U) Ltd Deadline of this Job: 24 March 2021 Duty Station: Within Uganda , Kampala , East Africa SummaryDate Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed JOB DETAILS:Sim Plastics (U) Ltd is a plastics manufacturing company dealing in the production of different shapes of plastic The post Senior Accountant Job at Sim Plastics (U) Ltd appeared first on The Campus Times.
- Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Officer Job at Profiles International Uganda Limitedby Miiro Allan on February 26, 2021 at 3:27 pm
Job Title: Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Officer Organisation: Profiles International Uganda Limited Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda About US: Profiles International Uganda Limited (PIUL) is an affiliate of Profiles International Inc. (PII), a Waco, Texas, USA-based firm that provides solutions to a wide range of Human Resource challenges. PII is the recognised world leader in employee evaluation and The post Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Officer Job at Profiles International Uganda Limited appeared first on The Campus Times.
- Senior Driver Job at International Labour Organization (ILO)by Miiro Allan on February 26, 2021 at 3:17 pm
Job Title: Senior Driver Organisation: International Labour Organization (ILO) Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda Reports to: National Programme Manager Project Coordinator (NPC) Vacancy no.: DC/DAR/GS/2021/03 About US: The International Labour Organization (ILO) is a United Nations agency dealing with labour problems, particularly international labour standards, social protection, and work opportunities for all. The ILO has 187 member states: 186 of the The post Senior Driver Job at International Labour Organization (ILO) appeared first on The Campus Times.
- Child Protection Case Worker Job at World Vision Internationalby Miiro Allan on February 26, 2021 at 3:13 pm
Job Title: Child Protection Case Worker (33 Job Opportunities) Organisation: World Vision International Duty Station: Uganda Reports to: Child Protection Facilitator About US: World Vision Uganda is a Christian Relief, Development and Advocacy Non-Government Organization dedicated to working with children, families and communities to overcome poverty and injustice. We currently work in over 41 districts in Uganda. World The post Child Protection Case Worker Job at World Vision International appeared first on The Campus Times.
- Associate Registry & Identity Management Officer Job at United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)by Miiro Allan on February 26, 2021 at 3:00 pm
Job Title: Associate Registry & Identity Management Officer (UN Fresher Data Jobs) Organisation: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) Duty Station: Uganda About UNHCR: The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United The post Associate Registry & Identity Management Officer Job at United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) appeared first on The Campus Times.
- Project Manager Job at Humanity & Inclusionby Miiro Allan on February 26, 2021 at 2:55 pm
Job Title: Project Manager Organisation: Humanity & Inclusion (Handicap International Federation) Project Name: Bahia Project Duty Station: Arua, Uganda Basic Salary: UGX 5,696,889 /= Reports to: Operations Manager About US: Handicap International Federation (operating under the name Humanity & Inclusion) is an independent and impartial aid and development organisation working in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. We The post Project Manager Job at Humanity & Inclusion appeared first on The Campus Times.
kenyan student media
- TANA RIVER GOVERNOR LAUDS MEMBERS OF THE COUNTY ASSEMBLY FOR PASSING BBIby Brian Kirui on February 26, 2021 at 10:05 am
Tana River Governor Dhadho Godhana has lauded Members of the County Assembly of Tana River for passing the Building Bridges Initiative but insisted that
- KENYA FILM AND CLASSIFICATION BOARD PARTNERS WITH UNIVERSITY STUDENT LEADERS TO ADVOCATE FOR CLEAN CONTENTby Brian Kirui on February 26, 2021 at 9:47 am
The Kenya Film and Classification board has embarked on a plan to partner with University student leaders to ensure they advocate for clean content
- THE KENYA NATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS AUTHORITY SET TO BEGIN MAJOR CRACKDOWN ON HOLDERS OF FAKE ACADEMIC CERTIFICATESby Brian Kirui on February 26, 2021 at 9:40 am
The Kenya National Qualifications Authority (KNQA) Director-General, Dr. Juma Mukhwana, has warned that they are weeding out all holders of fake academic certificates and
- ANTI FGM BOARD HAS MOVED IN TO ENGAGE MAASAI CULTURAL CHIEFS AND ELDERS IN ENDING FGM AND EARLY MARRIAGESby Brian Kirui on February 26, 2021 at 9:28 am
The anti Female Genital Mutilation board has engaged cultural chiefs and elder in the Maasai community in a bid to end the vice by
- MAKUENI DEPUTY GOVERNOR STORMS POLICE STATION OVER DELAY TO ARREST A SEX PESTby Brian Kirui on February 26, 2021 at 9:25 am
Makueni Deputy Governor Adelina Mwau has stormed Makueni police station accusing the County police administration over what she termed as laxity in combating defilement,
- BARINGO RESIDENT TAKES WATER CS TO COURT OVER ILLEGAL APPOINTMENT OF BOARD MEMBERSby Brian Kirui on February 26, 2021 at 9:16 am
A Baringo resident wants the board members of Central Rift Valley Water Works Development Agency disbanded over illegal appointment by Water Cabinet Secretary Cecily
- KENYANS URGED TO CHOOSE WHERE TO PICK THEIR HUDUMA CARDSby Brian Kirui on February 26, 2021 at 9:10 am
Kenyans have been urged to respond to the SMS requiring them to indicate where they want to pick their Huduma cards. According to Spinica
- GOVERNMENT EMPLOYS 50 INFORMATION AND 10 PUBLIC COMMUNICATION OFFICERSby Brian Kirui on February 25, 2021 at 1:48 pm
The government has recruited 50 Information officers (IOs), 10 Public Communication officers (PCOs), two human Resource OFFICERS and three economists to be deployed in
- POLITICAL LEADERS IN TANA RIVER WARNED AGAINST FUELLING ANIMOSITYby Brian Kirui on February 25, 2021 at 1:02 pm
The government has warned political leaders in Tana River county against fuelling animosity and tension on land and the forthcoming elections. Coast regional commissioner,
- NYS SERVICEMAN DETAINED IN HOSPITALby Brian Kirui on February 25, 2021 at 11:07 am
A youthful National Youth Service plant operator has been detained by a Kisii town based health facility for inability to settle a medical bill
- 200 ELDERLY MEN UNDERGO FREE UROLOGICAL SURGERIES IN KITUIby Brian Kirui on February 25, 2021 at 10:48 am
200 elderly men in Kitui suffering from urinary blockages have benefited from free urological surgeries offered by the Kenya Association of Urological Surgeons (KAUS).
- MUTUA KICKS OFF EARLY BBI POPULARIZATION CAMPAIGNS IN MACHAKOSby Brian Kirui on February 25, 2021 at 10:36 am
Barely two days after County assemblies gave a node for the constitutional amendment Bill 2020 , Maendeleo Chap Chap party leader and presidential aspirant