south african student media
- EFFSC to challenge presidential elections at High Court: Is there a fourth presidential candidate?on October 31, 2020 at 3:33 pm
EFFSC to challenge presidential elections at High Court: Is there a fourth presidential candidate? Susanna Anbu, Kayla Thomas and Leah Rees On 25 October, PDBY received an anonymous tip that the Constitutional Tribunal (Student Court of UP) was in the process of drafting a binding order to reinstate an applicant’s name on the presidential ballot list for the Student Representative Council (SRC) elections. The Tribunal, in a 24 October hearing, declared that the Panel of appointed judges found that the applicant, Sipiwe Tato Ntiyantiya, “satisfies the eligibility requirements” to run in “the UP 2020 SRC Elections as a candidate for the OfficeRead More →
- Stellenbosch bring versteekte talente na voreon October 28, 2020 at 1:43 pm
Deur Kristie Truter Stellenbosch huisves talle veelsydige en talentvolle individue. Een van dié is die
- Stinging Rogers making waves on SoundCloudon October 28, 2020 at 1:36 pm
By Tiaan Booyens The Stinging Rogers is a curly, acoustic, folk-rock duo from Stellenbosch, consisting
- Halloween oh Halloweenon October 28, 2020 at 1:24 pm
By Claudia Lewis If you feel like having a scary blast this weekend or even
- Koos Kombuis kom gee weer klason October 27, 2020 at 7:45 pm
DEUR MARELI SWART Koos Kombuis is ’n household-naam. Hy is bekend as iemand wat die
- The Social Media Dilemmaon October 27, 2020 at 8:12 am
CARLI BOTHA The new Netflix documentary, The Social Dilemma, was released on 9 September, and has started a few conversations about social media and the influences it has in the modern day. The documentary highlights some of the most pressing problems people face regarding personal information, including data mining, social media addiction, and fake news. The Guardian, however, describes this documentary as “a valiant if flawed attempt to address our complacency about surveillance capitalism”. The term “surveillance capitalism” is described in the article “Explainer: What is surveillance capitalism” on theconversation. com as a market for the commodity that is personal data. The article credits ProfessorRead More →
- Cannabis Research at UPon October 27, 2020 at 8:01 am
MARYKE STEYNVAART Cannabis has been used by humans for millennia for its medicinal and psychoactive properties. The cannabis plant also has various industrial uses, and is a more environmentally friendly substitute for various materials such as plastic. Recently, increased resistance against prohibitionist legislation has resulted in a slow movement towards legislative reform. As cannabis is becoming more legitimised, various types of research on cannabis have become essential in ensuring that cannabis’ potential can be maximised, and used to benefit the people of South Africa. The prohibition of cannabis is a relatively recent and short period in cannabis’ long history. And, in the past few years,Read More →
- The Library during lockdownon October 27, 2020 at 7:46 am
KENDALL BEHR The UP Merensky Library is one of the centres of academic activity on Hatfield campus that provides students a space to study and concentrate. The UP library has been closed for the duration of the lockdown, but the library services have not stopped working to ensure that students can access the resources they need for assignments and other academic work. Lindiwe Soyizwapi,the Director of Library Services, said, “during this time uppermost in our mind as the Library was to align our support and programmes to the needs of our students and staff. We gave priority to enhancing access to academic texts and informationRead More →
- Tuks UP&OUT beaming with pride this Octoberon October 27, 2020 at 7:39 am
TSHEPANG MOJI October is recognized as Pride Month in South Africa, and the University of Pretoria’s queer society, Tuks UP&Out, is continuing the support. In addition to hosting their annual UP Pride this month, which has had to take place virtually, Tuks UP&Out received a nomination for the 2020 Feather Awards. Tuks UP&Out is a society that strives to create a safe and comfortable environment for queer bodies to exist across UP campuses, achieving this through creating events where queer people feel comfortable to safely express themselves, as well as lobbying for policy changes on campus that will help protect the rights of the queerRead More →
- Online learning and health: the possible effects and how to avoid themon October 27, 2020 at 7:28 am
STEPHANIE COOKSON In the age of online learning, students are experiencing the downsides of spending extended periods of time sitting at the desk with a computer in front of them. PDBY spoke to Dr. Elzette Korkie from UP’s Department of Physiotherapy about some of the ways students can avoid these downsides and stay healthier during online learning. In a non-representative survey of a group of [-]students, PDBY asked students what physical side-effects students have experienced more since the move to online learning. Almost 90% of the surveyed students reported more back pain and eye strain, with 76% of students experiencing more headaches. Just under 30%Read More →
- NEWS BITESon October 27, 2020 at 7:08 am
SUSANNA ANBU Dire Tladi appointed as the South African Research Chair Initiative (SARChl) Chair for International Constitutional Law Professor Dire Tladi of the University of Pretoria’s Department of Public Law has been appointed as the National Research Foundation’s (NRF) South African Research Chair Initiative (SARChI) Chair for International Constitutional Law. Prof. Tladi’s tenure is a five year term which begins in 2021. SARChI’s establishment was led by the Department of Higher Education, Science and Technology, and the NRF in 2006. This intervention was designed to coalesce the knowledge of academics to aid in the formulation of a concrete research base that would aid in contributingRead More →
- National Marine Month: The Whale Unit’s contribution to marine resources conservationon October 27, 2020 at 7:01 am
MANELISI MAGORO AND NOKWANDA KUBHEKA October commemorates National Marine Month, which aims to create awareness about the benefits that are brought by South Africa’s marine and coastal environments. According to the University of Pretoria’s website, the Mammal Research Institute (MRI) Whale Unit at UP is responsible for the advancement of knowledge and conservation of Southern Africa’s diverse whale and dolphin fauna, through innovative research themes, promoting the development of human capacity in the acquisition of marine mammal knowledge bases. Set up in 1985, the MRI Whale Unit is a worldwide, African research, conservation, and education facility that investigates the nature, populace elements, and conduct ofRead More →
ghana student media
- La liga: Deportivo Alaves – Barcelona | Livestream #AlavésBarçaby radio univers on October 31, 2020 at 7:35 pm
The post La liga: Deportivo Alaves – Barcelona | Livestream #AlavésBarça appeared first on Radio Univers 105.7FM.
- Ziyech scores PL goal as Chelsea beat strugglers Burnleyby radio univers on October 31, 2020 at 5:52 pm
Hakim Ziyech netted his first Premier League goal as Chelsea cruised to victory over winless Burnley at Turf Moor. Making his first league start for the Blues, Ziyech wrong-footed Burnley keeper Nick Pope, expertly dispatching Tammy Abraham’s lay-off in the 26th minute. Defender Kurt Zouma doubled the advantage just after the hour mark, rising highest The post Ziyech scores PL goal as Chelsea beat strugglers Burnley appeared first on Radio Univers 105.7FM.
- Sean Connery, James Bond actor, dies aged 90by radio univers on October 31, 2020 at 5:48 pm
Sir Sean Connery has died at the age of 90, his family has said. The Scottish actor was best known for his portrayal of James Bond, being the first to bring the role to the big screen and appearing in seven of the spy thrillers. Sir Sean died peacefully in his sleep in the Bahamas, The post Sean Connery, James Bond actor, dies aged 90 appeared first on Radio Univers 105.7FM.
- Hazard scores first goal in over a year as Madrid secure 4-1 over Huescaby radio univers on October 31, 2020 at 5:46 pm
Eden Hazard scored his first goal for more than a year as Real Madrid moved to the top of La Liga with an emphatic win over Huesca. The Belgian opened the scoring with a superb left-foot shot into the left corner from outside the penalty area. France forward Karim Benzema scored twice for the hosts, The post Hazard scores first goal in over a year as Madrid secure 4-1 over Huesca appeared first on Radio Univers 105.7FM.
- Covid-19: Boris Johnson set to announce month-long England lockdownby radio univers on October 31, 2020 at 5:40 pm
Prime Minister Boris Johnson is set to announce a second national lockdown for England as the UK passed one million Covid-19 cases. Non-essential shops and hospitality will have to close for a month, sources told the BBC. But unlike the restrictions in the spring, schools and colleges are to be allowed to stay open. It The post Covid-19: Boris Johnson set to announce month-long England lockdown appeared first on Radio Univers 105.7FM.
- Cleaner gets eight years for defiling victim in public toiletby radio univers on October 31, 2020 at 5:17 pm
An Accra Circuit Court has jailed a 19-year-old cleaner for eight years for defiling a 12-year-old minor in a public toilet at La, an Accra suburb. Some’ Amos, a Burkinabe, who pleaded not guilty to the charge of defilement, was found guilty by the Court, presided over by Mrs. Christiana Cann, after trial. Prosecuting, Detective The post Cleaner gets eight years for defiling victim in public toilet appeared first on Radio Univers 105.7FM.
- “Your life was a blessing” – Christian Atsu pays tribute to late mumby radio univers on October 31, 2020 at 5:06 pm
Mother of Black Stars and Newcastle midfielder, Christian Atsu, has passed on. She reportedly died earlier today [Saturday, October 31, 2020] The circumstances around her death is yet to be ascertained. Christian Atsu, in a tweet, described her late mum’s life as one that was a blessing. Your life was a blessing, your memory a The post “Your life was a blessing” – Christian Atsu pays tribute to late mum appeared first on Radio Univers 105.7FM.
- Henry Lartey commends President Akufo-Addo on Covid-19 managementby radio univers on October 31, 2020 at 4:53 pm
Presidential candidate of the Great Consolidated Popular Party (GCPP), Dr. Henry Herbert Lartey, has complimented President Nana Akufo-Addo on measures taken by the government in the fight against the spread of coronavirus disease in the country. He says that the efforts of President Akufo-Addo in the Covid-19 fight will help them to easily move the The post Henry Lartey commends President Akufo-Addo on Covid-19 management appeared first on Radio Univers 105.7FM.
- Legon girl tells mum that she is pregnant and had the shock her life [Video]by radio univers on October 31, 2020 at 4:19 pm
In a society where women who get pregnant out of wedlock are looked down on, one of the most difficult things for young unmarried ladies to deal with is the news of being pregnant. The major headache for these young females is how to break the news to their parents who expect to give them The post Legon girl tells mum that she is pregnant and had the shock her life [Video] appeared first on Radio Univers 105.7FM.
- Refrain from frontline politics – Alavanyo Queen Mother tells traditional leadersby radio univers on October 31, 2020 at 1:35 pm
Paramount Queen Mother of the Alavanyo Traditional Council, Mamaga Amertor II has charged various traditional leaders in the country to desist from engaging in frontline politics. As the country gears up for the December 7 elections and with the flagbearers of various political parties and aspiring Members of Parliament paying courtesy calls on traditional leaders The post Refrain from frontline politics – Alavanyo Queen Mother tells traditional leaders appeared first on Radio Univers 105.7FM.
- HTU inaugurates College of Deansby Rustum Senorgbe on October 30, 2020 at 5:25 pm
Vice Chancellor of Ho Technical University, Prof. Ben Honyenuga Friday, October 30, 2020 inaugurated members of the College of Deans. According to the VC, the rational is to distribute leadership towards attaining the goals of the University The 11 member College of Deans is to be chaired by Ag. Pro Vice Chancellor, Mr. Edward Ayimey ...
- Ghana Tourism Authority set to establish Hospitality Training Instituteby Rustum Senorgbe on September 15, 2020 at 11:09 pm
To ensure service excellence among industry players, the Ghana Tourism Authority (GTA), under the auspices of the Ministry of Tourism, Arts and Culture is collaborating with other stakeholders to set up a Hospitality Training Institute. The initiative is one of the Ghana Tourism Development Projects which is sponsored by the World Bank. Speaking on behalf ...
uganda student media
- Failing to get an admission does not end it for youby Sarah A on October 30, 2020 at 2:39 pm
Universities already started operating and have candidate students attending lectures, there even those planning to start online classes for students as they wait for the government to permit them to operate fully. For those who are to join university from high school, some may fail to get an admission. It is important to know that The post Failing to get an admission does not end it for you appeared first on The Campus Times.
- L1 Support Engineer at Global Telecom Companyby Sarah A on October 30, 2020 at 11:42 am
We are looking for a Technical Support Engineer to provide enterprise-level assistance to our customers. You will diagnose and troubleshoot software and hardware problems and help our customers install applications and programs. Technical Support Engineer responsibilities include resolving network issues, configuring operating systems and using remote desktop connections to provide immediate support. You will use The post L1 Support Engineer at Global Telecom Company appeared first on The Campus Times.
- Community Development Facilitator – Sponsorship at Food for the Hungryby Sarah A on October 30, 2020 at 11:34 am
Food for the Hungry (FH/U) is a Christian international relief and development organization currently operating programs in Asia, Latin America and Africa with support offices in the UK, Canada, Switzerland, Sweden, United States of America and Japan. In Uganda since 1989, FH is operational in the Districts of Adjumani, Kitgum, Lamwo, Kole, Kween, Mbale, Namutumba The post Community Development Facilitator – Sponsorship at Food for the Hungry appeared first on The Campus Times.
- Team Leaders-Civil Servant Loans x34 at Platinum Creditby Sarah A on October 30, 2020 at 11:19 am
The overall job purpose: Responsible for total team performance in accordance with the company policies and procedures. Key duties/responsibilities:• Ensuring achievement of set monthly sales targets.• Recruitment and retention of Sales Representatives.• Carrying out training for Sales Representatives.• Ensuring productivity of Sales Representatives. • Ensuring improvement in earnings for Sales Representatives.• In charge of welfare The post Team Leaders-Civil Servant Loans x34 at Platinum Credit appeared first on The Campus Times.
- Administration Officer, SUPREME Programme at World Vision Internationalby Sarah A on October 30, 2020 at 9:31 am
Purpose of the position: To provide Administrative support for efficient and effective delivery of project activities under the EUTF SUPREME Program in line with existing WV strategy, policies and guidelines. Major Responsibilities: People & Service provider management: To Supervise and monitor administrative activities of administration staff and Service Providers in EUTF SUPREME Programme Management. Planning, The post Administration Officer, SUPREME Programme at World Vision International appeared first on The Campus Times.
- Nutrition Officer – Karamoja Locusts Response Project at World Vision Ugandaby Sarah A on October 30, 2020 at 9:19 am
World Vision Uganda (WVU) is a Christian relief, development and advocacy non-government organisation dedicated to working with children, families and communities to overcome poverty and injustice. We currently work in 43 districts and have 48 Area Programmes implementing projects in health & nutrition, water, sanitation & hygiene (WASH), livelihoods & resilience, education and child protection. The post Nutrition Officer – Karamoja Locusts Response Project at World Vision Uganda appeared first on The Campus Times.
- Angelina Jolie’s lawyer withdraws from custody caseby Sarah A on October 30, 2020 at 6:37 am
Angelina Jolie and William Bradley Pitt’s are still having a legal custody battle over their children but now it is for 5 children who are still minors since one is already of age and can make his own decisions. The legal battle began in Sept. 2016 immediately after Angelina filed for divorce and requested joint The post Angelina Jolie’s lawyer withdraws from custody case appeared first on The Campus Times.
- Head of Cluster DGS MTN at Ericssonby Sarah A on October 29, 2020 at 9:54 am
Ericsson is looking for Head of Service Delivery for Digital Services based in East Africa. This role will be accountable for handling sophisticated and/or large programs, leading its program teams and working with key customer contacts from its early pre-sales to delivery conclusion phases manly in telecom area! You will Develop and execute on delivery The post Head of Cluster DGS MTN at Ericsson appeared first on The Campus Times.
kenyan student media
- Garissa’s department of health has embarked on campaign against lifestyle diseases.by Allan Wasike on November 22, 2019 at 9:50 am
The Garissa county department of health has embarked on a lifestyle disease awareness campaign to sensitize the public on dangerous lifestyle diseases. Records at
- Narok County joins in the FGM eradication initiativeby Allan Wasike on November 22, 2019 at 9:41 am
By Mutabazi The fight against female genital mutilation has intensified in Narok County following a meeting between the Narok County Commissioner Samuel Ole Kimiti,
- Quins seek first win as they host Oilers at the R.F.U.E.Aby Allan Wasike on November 22, 2019 at 9:33 am
BY Peter Mwaura Defending Kenya Cup champions KCB will take on third-placed Homeboyz in a Kenya Cup match day 5 encounter scheduled to be
- Kenyan youths to get training as fishing fleets as Kenya exploits blue economyby Allan Wasike on November 22, 2019 at 9:27 am
By Njamiu Kiboi Local youths are set to be trained as seafarers to work in fishing fleets. This even as the government turns its
- All system go for the upcoming FKF county electionsby Allan Wasike on November 22, 2019 at 9:17 am
By Peter Mwaura 18 counties are set to hold the FKF elections on Saturday 23rd November from 9 am to 4 pm. Kitale showground
- Kenya 7s squad for the world 7s series unveiledby Allan Wasike on November 21, 2019 at 8:21 am
By Peter Mwaura The Kenya Technical Director Paul Feeney has unveiled an 18 man squad that will represent Kenya in the 2019/2020 world 7s
- Two Ugandan brothers held by police over fake us currency in Mombasaby Allan Wasike on November 20, 2019 at 9:13 am
By Chris Sambu Police are holding two Ugandan nationals who were nabbed with fake US currency. The two brothers Tindeyebwa Godfrey and Tayebwa Evans
- Is Mourinho the best option for Tottenham Hotspurs?by Allan Wasike on November 20, 2019 at 8:49 am
By John Waweru Portuguese tactician Jose Mourinho has been confirmed as the new Tottenham boss and will now replace Mauricio Pochettino following his
- Drop in soil infertility threatens low food production in Kenyaby Allan Wasike on November 20, 2019 at 8:32 am
By Christine Kamau The future of the food basket in Kenya, is on the rocks, following scientific research which shows a drop in soil
- The Kenya Progressive Nurses Association wants the nursing certificate course scrappedby Allan Wasike on November 20, 2019 at 8:18 am
By Christine Kamau The Kenya Progressive Nurses Association wants the nursing certificate course scrapped and replaced with the diploma course, which they believe has
- World athletics approve Kamworor world half marathon recordby Allan Wasike on November 20, 2019 at 8:06 am
By Peter Mwaura The world athletics governing body world athletics has ratified the world half-marathon record of 58 minutes and 1 second set by
- Pressure mounts on President Uhuru Kenyatta to release the BBI reportby Allan Wasike on November 18, 2019 at 9:50 am
By Anne Macharia Emurrur Dikirr MP Johana Ngeno now claims Building Bridges Initiative is President Uhuru Kenyatta’s plan to usher Kenyans to dictatorship. The