- Israel-Gaza war live: Israeli hostage reported killed in Gazaby Vivian Ho (now); Clea Skopeliti and Rebecca Ratcliffe (earlier) on December 9, 2023 at 3:48 pm
Sahar Baruch, 25, was taken hostage by Hamas on 7 October, and his community now says he has been killedSee all our Israel-Gaza war coverageHeavy fighting continued overnight in northern Gaza, both from the air and on the ground, the Israel Defense Forces said on Saturday.According to the IDF, fighters from the battle team of the Kafir brigade fought and killed a group in the area of a school in the Shejaiya neighbourhood. IDF forces later found a number of Kalashnikov weapons, grenades and ammunition inside the classrooms. Continue reading...
- Russia-Ukraine war live: Olena Zelenska warns Ukraine in ‘mortal danger’ without foreign aidby Mattha Busby (now) and Hamish Mackay (earlier) on December 9, 2023 at 3:45 pm
As US Republicans block a key aid bill, Ukraine’s first lady asks for the west not to get ‘tired of this situation’ What we know on day 654Russian police have put the prominent Russian American journalist and author Masha Gessen on a wanted list after opening a criminal case against them on charges of spreading false information about the Russian army.The independent Russian news outlet Mediazona was the first to report on Friday that Gessen’s profile has appeared on the online wanted list of Russia’s interior ministry, and the Associated Press was able to confirm that it was. It was not clear from the profile when exactly Gessen was added to the list. Continue reading...
- Sunak faces new questions at Covid inquiry after pranksters claim they reached his old phone numberby Michael Savage Policy Editor on December 9, 2023 at 3:44 pm
PM likely to be asked about WhatsApp messages from pandemic that he says are irretrievable, despite reports number accessedFresh questions are being raised over whether Rishi Sunak has handed over all relevant material to the Covid inquiry after reports that pranksters have been able to access an old phone number he used during his time as chancellor.The prime minister will face a day of questioning at the inquiry on Monday, where he is expected to be questioned about his claims that scientists had too much power. He will also be asked detailed questions about the “eat out to help out” scheme that many experts believe allowed the virus to spread. Continue reading...
- Cop28: petrostate Azerbaijan to host next UN climate summit in 2024 – as it happenedby Ajit Niranjan (now) and Bibi van der Zee (earlier) on December 9, 2023 at 3:33 pm
This live blog is now closed, you can read more on this story hereThe other day, our eagle-eyed reporter Patrick Greenfield spotted former chancellor Kwasi Kwarteng striding through the Cop complex.We all wondered what on earth Kwasi, who was at the top of a government which tried to overturn the UK’s fracking ban, could be doing at Cop, and whether the chancellor who crashed the UK economy was a vital part of the negotiating team. Continue reading...
- Michigan teen sentenced to life for school shooting that killed fourby Associated Press on December 9, 2023 at 3:02 pm
Ethan Crumbley apologized before the sentencing for the 2021 high school shooting as parents still in jail on related chargesA judge sentenced a Michigan teenager to life in prison on Friday for killing four students and terrorizing others at Oxford high school in 2021, after listening to hours of gripping anguish from parents and wounded survivors.Judge Kwame Rowe rejected pleas from defense lawyers for a shorter sentence and ensured that Ethan Crumbley, 17, will not get an opportunity for parole. Continue reading...
- ‘I’ve had death threats’: Real Happy Valley writer vilified in tweets by policeby David Barnett on December 9, 2023 at 3:00 pm
Former Met PC Alice Vinten says online abuse worse since publication of book about women in force that inspired BBC dramaWhen Alice Vinten wrote The Real Happy Valley, she intended the book to be a celebration of women in the police force, the real-life accounts of those who served as inspiration for protagonist Sgt Catherine Cawood in Sally Wainwright’s acclaimed BBC drama. Vinten interviewed women officers across Yorkshire who told of their careers on the frontline of policing, as depicted by Sarah Lancashire in the series that was set in the Calder Valley around Halifax.Instead, the book has prompted a campaign of abuse against Vinten, 42, a former Metropolitan police officer herself, on Twitter, now known as X, including what the author calls an orchestrated campaign of leaving bad reviews and even threats. Worse, she says, they’re from police. Continue reading...
- ‘I need mum and dad here’: the charity helping young Afghan footballers reunite with relativesby Robyn Vinter on December 9, 2023 at 3:00 pm
The Refugee Council is welcoming those who fled the Taliban and providing legal advice on resettlement in the UK• Donate to our charity appeal hereTwo years on from their arrival in South Yorkshire, young footballers Elaha Safdari, Najma Arifi and Narges Mayeli are still baffled by the array of regional accents in the UK. “I’m always like, ‘Pardon? Can you please repeat? What did you say?’” laughs Arifi, now 20.This barrier is only a minor hurdle for the trio, who were forced to flee for their lives when the west pulled out of Afghanistan and the Taliban seized power in August 2021. Continue reading...
- Gaza war unleashes anti-Palestinian, anti-Muslim sentiment in the USon December 9, 2023 at 2:44 pm
In the United States, speaking freely about Israel’s war on Gaza often has a price.
- Somali president’s son flees Turkey after fatal Istanbul accident: Reportson December 9, 2023 at 2:02 pm
Turkish media say Mohammed Hassan Sheikh Mohamud crashed into and killed a motorcycle courier before leaving country.
- ‘The mood is subdued’: Hanukkah is marked by mourning for Jews across UKby Harriet Sherwood on December 9, 2023 at 2:00 pm
For the Jewish community in York, as elsewhere, fears and distress over the war in Gaza haunt this year’s festival of lightOn Thursday evening, the small progressive Jewish community in York will gather at Jewbury, the city’s medieval Jewish cemetery, to light memorial candles and say prayers for 150 people who died in a 12th-century pogrom at Clifford’s Tower.The flames will then be used to light the eighth and final candle on menorahs, or special candelabra, brought to the ceremony by members of the community, marking the end of Hanukkah, the Jewish festival of light that began last Thursday. Continue reading...
- Adele says staying in sunny LA staves off seasonal depressionby Mabel Banfield-Nwachi on December 9, 2023 at 1:44 pm
Singer, who reportedly bought $58m property last year, says she also gets left alone in Los AngelesAdele has said she is likely to stick around in Los Angeles because the sunny weather helps her stave off seasonal depression.In an interview with the Hollywood Reporter, she said the California city’s sunny weather was “good for me”. Los Angeles has an average of about 263 sunny days in the year. Continue reading...
- UN raises alarm on attempts to annul Guatemala’s general election resultson December 9, 2023 at 1:44 pm
UN human rights chief calls 'persistent and systematic' attempts to undermine poll outcome 'extremely disturbing'.
- Ahead of DR Congo vote, people in volatile east feel abandonedby Eyaaz on December 9, 2023 at 2:00 pm
Much of the region is prey to armed groups, an aftermath of regional wars in the 1990s and 2000s The post Ahead of DR Congo vote, people in volatile east feel abandoned appeared first on The Mail & Guardian.
- Tiny Electric Vehicles Pack a Bigger Climate Punch Than Carsby Somini Sengupta, Abdi Latif Dahir, Alex Travelli and Clifford Krauss on December 9, 2023 at 1:35 pm
Two- and three-wheeled vehicles, used by billions of people, are moving away from fossil fuels to batteries faster than cars in countries that have made the energy transition a priority.
- News24 | 'Double standards': World reacts to US veto on Gaza truce resolution at UNon December 9, 2023 at 1:02 pm
International rights groups say US 'risks complicity in war crimes' and has 'callous disregard for civilian suffering'.
- News24 | Three people die in Italian hospital fireon December 9, 2023 at 11:23 am
Three elderly people were killed when fire swept through a hospital overnight in the town of Tivoli, close to Rome, Italian media reported on Saturday.
- News24 | It's 'go-time' for governments at COP28 – as Creecy, others help bridge gapson December 9, 2023 at 5:00 am
As the second week of COP28 kicks off with political negotiations, Minister Barbara Creecy and Denmark's Minister Dan Jørgensen need to make sure a consensus is reached on a key outcome – the Global Stocktake.
- New Sickle Cell Therapies Will Be Out of Reach Where They Are Needed Mostby Rebecca Robbins and Stephanie Nolen on December 8, 2023 at 10:46 pm
There is no clear path for African patients to get access to the treatments, which have multimillion-dollar price tags and are highly complex to manufacture and deliver.
- News24 | South Africa demands 'balanced' ICC investigation on Gaza - excluding Israelon December 8, 2023 at 3:52 pm
South Africa has concerns about the International Criminal Court's approach to the Hamas-Israel war after its prosecutor said both sides have committed war crimes.
- News24 | It's official: Vladimir Putin has decided to run again for presidenton December 8, 2023 at 2:38 pm
Russian leader Vladimir Putin has decided to run in presidential elections next March, news agencies reported Friday, allowing the Kremlin leader to extend his decades-long grip on power.
- News24 | The UK paid Rwanda another R2.4 billion to take its migrantson December 8, 2023 at 12:09 pm
Britain paid Rwanda an additional £100 million pounds in April, on top of £140 million it previously sent, as the bill for its contested plan to relocate asylum seekers to the East African country continues to rise.
- News24 | Hunter Biden hit with federal charges for evading taxon December 8, 2023 at 9:20 am
The Department of Justice on Thursday filed new criminal charges against US President Joe Biden's son, Hunter, accusing him of failing to pay $1.4 million in taxes while spending millions of dollars on a lavish lifestyle.
- News24 | 'I cannot put my wife in danger': Prince Harry says UK not safe for him and familyon December 8, 2023 at 6:56 am
Prince Harry believes he was forced to leave the UK and that he and his family can never feel safe during visits home without adequate security, a court was told Thursday.
- Seychelles Declares State of Emergency After Blast at Explosives Depotby Abdi Latif Dahir and John Yoon on December 7, 2023 at 6:22 pm
Seychelles declared a state of emergency after the explosion, which came on the heels of deadly flooding in the country.
SA Breaking news
- Pule Mmodi's strike help Chiefs sink Rise and Shine in Polokwaneby email@example.com (Sazi Hadebe) on December 9, 2023 at 3:43 pm
Kaizer Chiefs gave their supporters a nice early Christmas present when they beat Polokwane City 1-0 to bring some glimmer of hope in what has been a diabolic start to the 2023-2024 campaign.
- Young people must be given opportunities rather than handouts - Lesufion December 9, 2023 at 3:24 pm
Speaking in Randburg where thousands received their employment appointment letters via the province's Nasi Ispani programme, Lesufi said social grants should not be a replacement for work.
- Safa and PSL in discussions to break before Christmas for Bafana’s Afcon preparationsby firstname.lastname@example.org (Mahlatse Mphahlele) on December 9, 2023 at 3:22 pm
The South African Football Association (Safa) is involved in last -minute discussions with the Premier Soccer League (PSL) to have DStv Premiership fixtures end before Christmas
- Claims public participation was not considered in NHI Bill refutedby SABC on December 9, 2023 at 3:20 pm
Dr Nicholas Crisp says he is pleased that the NHI has passed its first hurdle.
- Veteran Ruan Pienaar on song as Cheetahs beat Zebre in Italyby email@example.com (Sithembiso Dindi) on December 9, 2023 at 3:19 pm
In spite of a lack of competitive game time in the lead-up to their first match of the EPCR Challenge Cup this season, somehow the Cheetahs managed to outclass Zebre Parma to get their campaign off to a good start.
- R3 million City Power property found in Orange Farm, suspect arrestedby Preggie Moodley on December 9, 2023 at 2:38 pm
Amongst the stolen property were two transformers and 10 streetlights.
- Only visit beaches with lifeguards, appeals NSRI to beachgoerson December 9, 2023 at 2:23 pm
The National Sea Rescue Institute has urged beachgoers to be vigilant over the festive season as warmer days beckon the public to the coast.
- Security jacked up at institutions: Nzimandeby Zalene Merrington on December 9, 2023 at 1:42 pm
Nzimande says his department is engaging with relevant stakeholders.
- Blitzboks book quarterfinal spot with win over USAon December 9, 2023 at 1:27 pm
The Springbok Sevens team remained unbeaten after their second pool game at the SVNS Cape Town on Saturday as they beat USA 26-14 in front of a vibrant crowd at the DHL Stadium.
- Proteas rookies need to find their feet quickly says skipper Markramby firstname.lastname@example.org (Stuart Hess) on December 9, 2023 at 1:12 pm
India and South Africa head into Sunday’s opening T20 International at Kingsmead shorn of their big stars and seeking answers about personnel for next year’s World Cup that will be jointly hosted in the Caribbean and US.
- 'It takes time': Nurse says some colleagues still not healed from Boksburg blaston December 9, 2023 at 12:51 pm
Almost a year ago, on Christmas Eve, 41 people, including 12 healthcare workers, were killed when a gas tanker exploded in Boksburg near the Tambo Memorial Hospital.
- Severe thunderstorm warning issued for parts of SAon December 9, 2023 at 12:39 pm
Heavy downpours are expected in Gauteng, Mpumalanga, Limpopo, Free State, the North West, and KwaZulu-Natal over the weekend, and may be accompanied by strong winds and flooding, cautioned SAWS.
- Sport | Ageless Pienaar and gritty forwards steer Cheetahs to superb Challenge Cup win over Zebreon December 9, 2023 at 6:05 pm
?It's days like these that provides ammunition for all the voices asking: Why were the Cheetahs ejected from the PRO14 three years ago after they beat Zebre 33-15 in their Challenge Cup opener.
- Sport | Brilliant Bvuma bosses Chiefs' goal in place of Khune as Amakhosi beat Polokwane Cityon December 9, 2023 at 5:37 pm
Bruce Bvuma passed a tough mental test with flying colours at Peter Mokaba Stadium, keeping a clean sheet and helping Kaizer Chiefs beat Polokwane City 1-0 on Saturday afternoon.
- Sport | No panic as Blitzboks respond to strong USA fightback: 'A lot of composure'on December 9, 2023 at 4:07 pm
Springbok Sevens assistant coach Philip Snyman lauded the composure of his team after they held off a stern challenge from the USA at the HSBC Cape Town SVNS on Saturday afternoon.
- Ten Hag says door still open to Sancho at Man Utdon December 9, 2023 at 3:39 pm
Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag said Jadon Sancho "knows what he has to do" if the winger is to salvage his career under the Dutchman at Old Trafford.
- Sport | Hamilton deplores FIA's investigation into 'most incredible female leaders' and Mercedes bosson December 9, 2023 at 2:29 pm
Mercedes' star driver Lewis Hamilton on Friday hit out at the conflict of interest probe opened and then closed by motor sport's governing body, the FIA, into the team's boss Toto Wolff and his wife Susie.
- Sport | With South Africa's exit, FIFA confirm three candidates to host 2027 Women's World Cupon December 9, 2023 at 2:21 pm
FIFA on Saturday confirmed that three bids to host the Women's World Cup in 2027 had been lodged "across three confederations" before the bidding process closed.
- Sport | Blitzboks chuffed after win over Brits: '60% of what we wanted to do and we still got job done'on December 9, 2023 at 12:25 pm
Springbok Sevens coach Sandile Ngcobo is chuffed with their efforts after beating Great Britain 19-5 in their HSBC Cape Town SVSN opener on Saturday morning.
- Sport | Cape Town Sevens: Pressure on as Blitzboks aim to break 8-year drought at home eventon December 9, 2023 at 10:37 am
The Springbok Sevens side enter this weekend's Cape Town Sevens eager to end a dry spell at their home event.
- Sport | Champs Cup or URC derbies? SA public preference check loomson December 9, 2023 at 10:35 am
This month will help clarify whether SA rugby fans buy into the touted Champions Cup or still prefer derby slug-outs, writes Rob Houwing.
- Sport | Miguel Timm's spirit the glue that binds Pirates as they try to catch Sundownson December 9, 2023 at 8:55 am
Miguel Timm's love for Orlando Pirates makes the good times taste even sweeter, but when the club struggles, it's a double blow for the 31-year-old, who first suffers as a player and then as a supporter.
- Sport | Brevis omission a 'missed opportunity' to test him against the best - Mashimbyion December 9, 2023 at 5:00 am
The precocious Dewald Brevis' omission from any of South Africa's white ball series squads against India has prompted a series of questions: is there a plan to expose him to international cricket, what is the plan, and should there be a plan?
- Sport | Fagrie Lakay enjoying his football in Egypt as part of South African trendsetters in the continenton December 8, 2023 at 8:58 pm
Fagrie Lakay believes the growing list of South Africans doing well in the CAF Champions League outside the country's borders will benefit South Africa in the long run.